Friday, March 14, 2008

The "Boro Wild

We have some great nature programs organized and taught by the local nature center where we live. On Thursdays we attend a program for homeschoolers called The 'Boro Wild. This program is concentrating on habitats. The class is 1 1/2 hours long and includes teaching (not done by me!), an activity, and a hike to put our new knowledge to use. This past Thursday we discussed the four things needed within every habitat...shelter, food, water, and space...and how those pertained to backyard habitats. For our hike and activity, we walked around the Nature Center and looked for those things. Here are some pictures...




We are very fortunate to have programs like these offered in our area. We do not take them for granted yet take advantage of them when we can. There is also a Nature Detectives program meeting on Tuesdays that we will attend when swim lessons don't coincide and on Wednesdays we may go help out with the butterfly garden. I encourage you to try and locate programs like these where you live. The kids enjoy them and you get a break from teaching!

3 comments:

Lisa~ said...

Hello! How was your weekend! I love that you have programs like that... we will check too... fun...fun...

Loved the pictures.... did you email Linda fae about the blog roll?

I just got home... been gone since Friday at a womans retreat... boy did I need that!

Lisa~

Lori C., Texas said...

I started my own Nature Blog! http://intothewoodswego.blogspot.com/

I haven't posted anything yet but plan to soon!:)

Tina in WA said...

I don't know if we have anything like that around here. I hope so!

I just haven't heard of anything like that before, but then again, my ears weren't in tune to nature classes before.

And I learned something by reading your post... 4 things in a habitat. Amazing. :o)

~Tina